So the first pianist, full of passionate energy, seems to pour all of his/her emotion into music. From the background noise and the ambience of the recording, we can tell that it's a live performance, which probably has a lot to do with the ever unstraining passion that goes into the piece. This pianist is brave in playing the fast section so ferociously! Unfortunately, he/she also sacrifices the clarity or the passages a bit. It is very exciting playing, but because of the fast tempo, a feeling of "got to go somewhere", it ceases to "paint a picture and tell a story", as what Chopin might had in mind. From the lack of accuracy in notes and the speediness of the playing, I guess Horowitz.
The second pianist, very sentimental and detail in execution. What a wonderful sense of touch. It is effortless to listen to the performance. Transitions between sections are well-thought out and smooth. The fast passages flows well into the slow, lyrical sections. Texturally, I can hear different layers at all time! The performer has a very clear idea of how he/she wants to organized the piece. The returns of each theme and its variations never sounded redundant. The coda is clean and not hectic (which is very hard to do...) Unlike the first performer, I hear a story going on, painting different pictures in my head. I guess Artur Rubinstein.
The third pianist, probably the most straighforward out of the three. Rubato was never overly done, the transitions between the fast and slow sections were tastefully exectued, and the clarity and the accuracy that every audience listens for are also presence without sounding forced. It combines the first pianist's passion and the second pianist's introspective quality into one, resulting in a perfect blend of sentimentality and virtuosity. I guess Vladimir Ashkenazy.
1 comment:
Michelle,
I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the various recordings of the Chopin 1st Ballade. I was particularly taken by your description of the 2nd recording, ostensibly Arthur Rubinstein, where you mentioned how you could envision a "story" with pictures! You might enjoy reading an interview with Rubinstein (September 1969 Clavier Magazine) where he discusses the A-flat Ballade. "The idea I have when playing (this ballade) not an idea I had myself...There is a drawing by Aubrey Beardsley, the English artist and illustrator, inspired by the A-flat Ballade." Rubinstein describes the drawing (lady on a white horse), and then discusses how the music suggests a "dialogue" between the lady and her suitor, describing it as a "rendezvous of love." Some musical notation accompanys Rubinstein's narrative. IF you would like a copy of this article (pdf file), let me know and I will send it to you. If you enjoy Rubinstein, you might also want to join a Yahoo! group I run dedicated to AR ("Hommage to Arthur Rubinstein"). Email me and I'll be glad to send you the Clavier article as well as particulars on the Group. Keep up the excellent writing...!
Best Regards,
Jonathan Cahill
jwcahill@yahoo.com
jwcahill1@gmail.com
Post a Comment